Today was my annual well woman exam. I was excited to see my doctor, because I hadn't seen her in almost a year. Understand, I really like my OB/GYN. She is a great doctor! She delivered my last two children and I really appreciated how she treated me as a patient. Without her I don't know if another doctor would've allowed me to have a fourth child. I was very excited to see her!
I didn't realize the slap in the face I would receive when she walked in the room. You see when I was weighed I was feeling good about myself since I've lost almost 40 pounds since February. However, in walks my OB/GYN and she is super skinny!!! I sat there with my stunned expression and asked her how much weight she had lost. She responded she had lost almost 90 pounds. I felt so guilty sitting there with my Diet Coke that I had just purchased. I asked her what she done. Her answer was simple, "I gave up sweets."
She told me about how she had discovered she was addicted to sugar. I've had that same realization, but unlike her I really haven't dealt with the problem. She realizes she's addicted to sugar and she cannot have it at all. Ever. She explained her rationale to me. It's very simple and it really hit home with me. She said sometimes people ask her to have a bite of dessert and she has to say no. She said to me "you wouldn't give us just one cigarette to a former smoker because they're addicted to smoking." Well, she's addicted to sugar. It makes so much sense and it's so simple. If you're addicted to sugar, don't eat it at all!!
Needless, to say, as soon as she walked out of the room, I threw my Diet Coke in the trash!
No comments:
Post a Comment