Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Could Never Be A Vegetarian


I remember when I was 18 and living in Las Vegas for the summer at my Aunt's house that she said to me one dinner, "What did your mom do to get you to eat your vegetables? You (meaning my brothers and I) guys always eat your vegetables first."  I've noticed as I track what I eat that I'm not a big vegetable eater.  Of course, I make my kids eat their veggies, but me not so much.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I ate how I have my children eat, I wouldn't be in this situation.  So now that I've mastered Oatmeal, I need to focus on increasing my vegetable intake.  One of the ways I'm doing this is by eating a salad every day at lunch.  Right now my calorie budget for the day is 1850.  It's reasonable and I'm comfortable with it.  However, sometimes I wonder how will I exist on 1400 calories a day?!?!  With salads!!!  Currently the salad I eat at lunch is only 360 calories.  That includes the chicken I eat with it for protein.  IT IS A TON OF SALAD!  Seriously!!! Its 5 cups of leafy greens!!!  No wonder vegetarians are mostly so skinny.  

The point is though that I want to get to the point where I look forward to my salad.  After mastering oatmeal (which I know sounds ridiculous to some) I now look forward to that warm bowl of delicious grains.  I know that whenever I eat it that I'm going to make good dietary and fitness choices that day.  I once heard a talk that mentioned there are three levels of doing things: have to, need to, want to.  At first I had to eat my oatmeal because I knew it would help achieve my goals.  Then I needed to because I needed to start my day off right.  NOW I want to eat the oatmeal.  BTW I promise this will be the last reference to oatmeal for a while.  Anyhow that is my desire with salad/veggies in general.  I will notify when I reach that point.  

No comments:

Post a Comment